MainMenu

Login Forums Living Dhamma Forum Course: Living Dhamma – Lesson 30 Reply To: Course: Living Dhamma – Lesson 30

Maria
Participant

You are right Kim, modern times don’t allow people to switch from childhood to adulthood with proper rites of passage. We rush into everything and in this parental quest for success some children are never children. I remember a continuous argument I had with my mother in law who insisted that my sons should start maths, read, write and learn the ‘scientific ways of the Universe” age two! My father on the other hand who was a wise man, said to me: let your children be children. Children need to play. Allow them to live fully every stage of their lives . They will grow up stronger men emotionally and mentally.
I also agree that all the abundance we have created in our society has not been matched by the same levels of compassion and generosity. We act sometimes as Gollum…’my precious!’.
And I also agree with Terence, (I am not feeling so contrary today ☺!), in that while communities are great and give us a sense of belonging and resonance in our ideas and actions, sometimes they develop this ‘group thinking’, which at times ends up leaving little room for alternative ways and sometimes alienating individuals who chose to exercise the latter. I was born in Spain at the time of Franco, when the traditional catholic church influence in society was very strong. In my early twenties, I grew tired of being told what to do, how to think and how to feel. So I left my country and settled in this one eventually. But my birth family remain far away and later on, I wasn’t there when my father died, now I would like to be there for my mother who is 82 and on her own, but I can’t, not constantly. It pains me. Yes it’s all swings and roundabouts! Burgs , your principle ‘willingness to do…what is for the benefit of others and never what is for their detriment’ has helped enormously, and yet at times it needs to be balanced – who/what takes priority in the benefit ranking? I struggle there sometimes!