MainMenu

Login Forums Living Dhamma Forum Course: Living Dhamma – Lesson 30 Reply To: Course: Living Dhamma – Lesson 30

Maria
Participant

I wonder if the idea of tribal living has been, in general, a bit romanticised. We forget that there was also cruelty in tribes. For example, if an elderly woman lost her ‘men’, she was left to die because no one would protect her any longer and she was considered a burden. I think that wisdom in communities depends on the people who lead them, the individuals that form them and the structures created by all. We have different circumstances today, and we have to choose how to live them. I don’t think this has changed much for hundreds of years, except that there is loads more information, have access to more, have more time for self development, more power to influence change and perhaps and therefore more responsibility.

On the main theme of the discourse… please forgive me folks for being so contrary today. I feel that reducing romantic love to magnetism, desire for procreation and lust is rather clinical. Perhaps we have to dissect the concept to understand it better, but I remember other things when I was in love. To all of the three above, I can also add a sense of immense inner strength, wonderful lucidity, calm and self confidence – as in that I was able to speak my truth without having to defend it, I listen more and didn’t need to shield myself all the time therefore being more authentically there. Rather intoxicating!
I have been married for 30 years. It hasn’t always been easy. In fact at times, it was very difficult…. Did I think of calling it a day? Several times. We made it through and I could not explain rationally what kept us together that long. I guess neither of us thought that whatever we were missing, we would find somewhere else or in someone else. Does fulfilment exist at human level? And yes we love each other, but is love enough?